PronunciationHow many times have we heard students say: "Hocam, I know English but I just can't speak." :( Indeed, the washback effect of not having speaking assessed on the METU proficiency test basically undermines our efforts in class to get students to improve their speaking skills. See Meral Cinar's research on our attitudes about teaching pronunciation. Nevertheless, we battle on... :)
- This is a very simple interactive IPA chart produced by the British Council. Just click on a symbol, and you'll hear the sound, plus see a few sample words. http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/activities/phonemic-chart
- This is another wonderful resource from the BBC. A bit more academic and only for students who are really serious about pronunciation, or as a good reference for us as teachers. Not specific to Turkish speakers, but just about English pronunciation in general. http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/pron/
Teaching ideas for IPA
- Have a look at various blog posts with the tag 'pronunciation'
APPs for pronunciation
- 'Sounds right' is an APP in the British Council suite of mobile applications - http://learnenglish.
britishcouncil.org/en/apps is for practicing the IPA. Available both for iOS and Android.
- This APP was awarded a British Council ELTONs award in 2012, and has a free and premium version: http://www.macmillaneducationapps.com/soundspron Available both for iOS and Android.
Sites to encourage verbal interaction
- Skype for Education offers the chance for classes to meet and interact via video conferencing on joint projects. You can also arrange to visit an 'expert' via SKYPE with your class -- the most amazing one I saw was the hook up with astronauts on the International Space Station. https://education.skype.com/
- Another site aligned to http://newsinlevels.com is the 'Speaking in Levels' site, which lets language learners connect via SKYPE to practice English. http://www.speakinlevels.com/
- Speaking Pal is offered on Android and iOS platforms. See http://www.speakingpal.com/
- An APP for ANDROID only looks good: http://www.9spikes.com/LSTeacher.aspx