Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Using GIFs Part-2

Hi,

Just recently I've mentioned a couple of ideas about using GIFs and animation in presentations. While I was thinking about how I could use them to practice responses to different situations, I just decided to give it a try to practice "noun clauses". Well, here's what I did...I found some animated gif images and simply inserted them in slides (you don't have to do that; I could have just shown the images). Anyway, then, I asked students in pairs to build/write sentences which included noun clauses (of course after the presentation of noun clauses) based on the animation image they saw. The sentences could be about what they character was thinking, what had happened, what might happen etc. And I gave them about 2 minutes for each image.

Here are two examples of the animations and students' sentences:




"It is clear that he is disappointed.",
"We all know that he admitted the situation.",
"What you have done is ridiculous."
"It is obvious that he is absolutely sad."
"It was a pity that he didn't know what to do."



"That we're having a double wedding is so surprising."
"That her boyfriend sent her a Valentine's Day gift was surprising."
"It is obvious that she's happy."
"She is surprised by the fact that the dinner is ready."

I think, such animations can be used in practicing lots of other areas as well, like "What's happening? (present continuous), describe the person/character (adjectives, relative clauses, adverbs), What happened? (simple past), What has just happened (present perfect), etc."

All the best,


2 comments:

  1. I really liked the idea and I used it to practice noun clauses.It really worked well.Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for letting us know. I'm sure there are many other options and possibilities where we can use such animations.

      Delete